With the Federal Election less than a week away it's important to know your obligations as an employer to provide time off for voting.
Here is the quick summary:
- Employees that are eligible to vote are required 3 consecutive hours to vote on the election day.
- Employers are required to provide time off (without pay interruption) if the employee's shift does not allow for 3 consecutive hours to vote
- Employer has the right to determine what time is provided to vote. Employee can shift around the start and end of the schedule.
- If the employee's schedule allows the 3 consecutive hours off then no time off is required. For example in Bonnyville the polls are open until 7:30pm, if the employee is off work at 4:30pm then they have three consecutive hours and no accommodation is required.
- note: there are some exceptions for the transportation industry if certain requirements are met, check out this link for more details.
Here's the dates of advanced and Election Day polls for Bonnyville:
Election day is :
Monday, October 21, 2019
Advance voting takes place on :
Friday, October 11, 2019
Saturday, October 12, 2019
Sunday, October 13, 2019
Monday, October 14, 2019
Information on where your voting poll is and registering go to: https://www.elections.ca/home.aspx